Surface DC Voltmeter Model SVM2
Manufactured in the USA by AlphaLab, Inc.
An electrostatic meter, the SVM2 reads static electricity without contact. It measures voltage on conductive surfaces and can be used to calculate charge density on insulators. It has peak positive and negative hold, user-settable fast alarm, and very high resolution of 1 volt on a 30K volt range. (For a different meter with 1/10 volt resolution see the Ultra Stable Surface Volt Meter.)
SKU: SVM2 $410
Output Jack: $20, Hard Carrying Case: $18, NIST Traceable Certificate: $30
Available Data Acquisition Option:
Data Logging USB Stick: $140 Logs data from the meter. The stick must be connected to a computer to operate. Output jack included.
With this meter, all of the following can be measured:
- The amount of charge (or voltage) on surfaces and the effectiveness of antistatic processing. Measuring a tiny fractional change in the surface voltage is useful because it tells you whether the problem is getting better or worse as a new remedy is tried and modified.
- The location, strength and polarity of all static sources. Because of the speed of this meter, unexpected sources are easily found.
- The number (per square cm per second) of air ions that are hitting a surface, and the effectiveness of ionizers and discharge devices.
- DC Electric field strength in air (also AC, which is 1/3 of the difference between + and - peak hold numbers).
- The approximate conductivity or ohms per square of surfaces.
- The approximate attractive/repulsive force between charged surfaces. (This can be calculated from the readings.)
- Voltage differential through the thickness of an insulating sheet or film.
|SPECIFICATIONS: Surface DC Volt Meter Model SVM2|
|Range at 1”:||0 to +/- 29.999 kV (29000 Volts)|
Resolution at 1":
|0.001 kV (1 Volt)|
|Accuracy:||+/- 2% of reading|
|Capacitance (to ground) of Sensor:||3 nF|
|Sensitivity if used to sense charge:||3.3 kV/nC|
|Drift:||< 0.001 kV/ 10 seconds|
|Leakage Half Life:||> 10 hours|
|Alarm Range:||.010 kV - 20 kV / mute|
|High-Voltage Alarm:||Sounds Automatically > 20 kV|
|Sample Speed:||0.0005 sec. > 98% response for > 0.015 sec. pulse|
|Auto Off:||If no buttons are pressed in 10 minutes|
|Environmental:||-1 C to 43 C (30°F to 110°F) 0-85% RH|
|Size:||4.5 X 3 X 1.2 inches; 115 X 72 X 30 mm|
|Weight:||160 g; 5.5 oz|
|Battery:||9 Volt Alkaline (~30 hour life) / "Low Battery" indicator|
This meter is not recommended for long-term automated measurements, such as connection to a data acquisition system. Note that an optional output jack can be ordered, but it is only useful for AC detection, and should be used with an external multimeter or oscilloscope. This meter should be manually reset at least every 20 minutes in case the sensor had acquired any charge, and at very strong ion levels (if a lot of sparking is present), external ions will add enough charge that the reset must be done more frequently. (For a stable electrostatic voltmeter which is chopper stabilized ["field mill"], so it can be used for long-term automated measurements without ever needing to be reset, click here.)
SKU: SVM2 $410
Recalibration service for SVM2: $120